Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why ya gotta be like that TSG? Why???

Now, as we all can assume correctly that when it comes to technology, I'm pretty much useless. I hate it, it hates me, that's how we roll. I can barely turn a computer on, let alone plug it in. Thus, when I call our technology department at work with a problem or question, they normally do everything for me. This is how it's been for the past three years.

Recently, I was promoted, and in being so had to change many things about my computer. I had to order different programs (well, technically our office assistant did it for me...) and then get them set up. One of these programs is called a VPN, and this will allow me to access WaMu's internet network (or whatever the hell it is) from home. This, in turn, will give me the freedom and access to work from home if I become overwhelmed at work. Which would be amazing.

So yesterday I call the TSG department, or Technology Service Group or whatever they stand for so that I can have the access I need to work from home. I basically need to set up the VPN thingy that I recently obtained. So I call and talk to Sally (Read: Panamajarana), and she tells me that I need to call fom home to get everything set up. Fine. So I go home yesterday evening and call again from my house, and this time I get Bob (Read: Taj). So Bob tells me that I need to get my wireless card before I can do anything else. "Well what the hell's a wireless card?" I ask myself. Oh, wait, I know! It's something that you plug into your computer! I can handle that! So thinking that what "Bob" tells me makes sense, I give up and plan to call them when I get my wireless card.

So today I get my wireless internet card in the mail! "Hurray!" I think to myself, believing this nightmare of a computer set-up will soon be over. Far from it. I set up my wireless card according to directions, without even calling TSG (!) and everything's great. So I get home and plan on boarding this great loan and think about how everything's going to be swell when I get online from here. Not really... I call TSG because I can't connect to the network. "Oh yeah! I remember. I need to call to get my VPN set up." So I call. And talk to Meg (Read: I could barely hear her, so I can't come up with a good name, sorry peoples). And Meg tells me that I need to be connected to the network to have my VPN set up. At this point, I'm kind of deflating like a balloon, and I'm starting to get irritated. Why would they tell me to call from home, then tell me that I need to call when I'm connected at work. FINE.

So tomorrow I have to call when I'm connected to the network. And if it doesn't work, I might just have to take a flight out to Bangladesh.

No comments: